Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is one of the leading causes of premature death in England, affecting seven million people and accounting for 1.6 million disability-adjusted life years..
High Blood Pressure is the biggest risk factor for CVD and is one of the top five risk factors for all premature death and disability in England. An estimated 5.5 million people have undiagnosed hypertension across the country.
Our Blood Pressure Monitoring Service has the potential to increase the detection of hypertension within local populations and can positively impact health inequalities by targeting people who do not routinely see their GP or use other NHS services.
Free NHS Blood Pressure Monitoring Service
This service aims to:
- Identify people with high blood pressure aged 40 years or older (who have previously not had a confirmed diagnosis of hypertension), and refer them to general practice to confirm the diagnosis and for appropriate management;
- At the request of a general practice, undertake ad hoc clinic and ambulatory blood pressure measurements; and
- Provide another opportunity to promote healthy behaviours to patients.
The free NHS Blood Pressure Monitoring Service is available for free to...
- Adults who are 40 years old or over, who do not have a current diagnosis of hypertension
- Patients, by exception, under the age of 40 who request the service because they have a recognised family history of hypertension at the pharmacist’s discretion
- Patients between 35 and 39 years old who are approached about or request the service at the pharmacist’s discretion
- Adults specified by a general practice for the measurement of blood pressure.
Private Blood Monitoring Service
If you are not eligible for the free NHS Blood Pressure Monitoring Service, you can take advantage of the Private Blood Pressure Monitoring Service for just £9.99 at your local Midway Pharmacy.
To take advantage of this service, book an appointment below.